07 January 2012

Skillet Bacon Jam ~ Review

You know how I like to talk about healthy, good-for-you foods and recipes?

Not so much today.

Be warned: This review contains concentrated bacon. Yep. Bacon.


"What is bacon jam? Well, we take a big bunch of really, really good bacon and render it down...add a bunch of spices, onions, etc. and let it simmer for about 6 hours, give it a quick puree, blast chill it...take a left turn, and end up in pure bacon heaven. Our Skillet bacon spreads and pumpkin sauces do not require any refrigeration until they are opened. They are all shelf stable and each have a freshness date on the label that we recommend you use or freeze by."


Perhaps you've heard of bacon jam before, I hadn't. I consider myself pretty adventurous when it comes to foods, so I decided to give it a shot. I do generally like bacon, and I do like jam.

I received a jar of the gooey brown stuff and, to be honest, I'm still not quite sure what to do with it. I wasn't sure what to expect as I spread some on a piece of toast for breakfast this morning. I'd like to say that I was pleasantly surprised, but it was more like "meh." 

What I liked:
The bacon flavor was strong and didn't taste like imitation, which was a big plus. It has a nice onion flavor in there was well. As soon ad I opened the jar, the aroma of bacon hit me. An easy way to bacon-flavor your foods (I'm thinking chicken or burgers) without having to cook the bacon. After looking through some recipes, it seems that bacon jam is very versatile in cooking.

This Skillet Bacon Chicken and Mushrooms looks pretty darn good!
http://www.skilletstreetfood.com/recipes.php?id=95

What I didn't like:
The texture. It's a gelatinous spread with chunks of bacon and onion, though the onion bits reminded me of bacon fat (my least favorite part of bacon.) The jam also seems a little greasy. Yes, I know, bacon is greasy. But that doesn't mean I want greasy jam. My thoughts, however, are that when cooked/heated with food (ie- on/in a burger, cooked on chicken) these texture and grease hang-ups will be reduced or eliminated.

Skillet also makes a pumpkin sauce, which I'd LOVE to try. Sounds pretty freakin' fabulous to me.

You can purchase all Skillet's jams and foods at their site http://www.skilletbaconjam.com/.
Contact them directly with any inquiries at eat@skilletstreetfood.com.

~Sam


I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.



No comments: